To teach SLS 1501, beginning in the Summer 2019, you must:
- Be a full-time employee of Florida International University
- Have completed one or more years of service at FIU*
- Have completed a master’s degree or higher no later than Spring 2019+
- Attend the Part 1 Instructor Training Session
- Attend the Part 2 Instructor Training Session
- Attend SLS 1501 Canvas Training Session
+If your highest degree was earned at FIU, you may upload a pdf of your unofficial transcript when the application becomes available. Official sealed transcripts are required from all other institutions.
In addition, the Student Success Courses program is looking for individuals with the following qualifications and characteristics in order to receive a teaching assignment:
- Student-centered educational philosophy
- Prior experience with first-year students preferred
- Use of engaging pedagogy that involves students in the learning process
- Must be interested in the new design of the course which includes a major focus on life and 21st century skills
- Capable of relating to and developing classroom rapport with students
- Genuine interest in guiding and mentoring new students and commitment to being accessible outside of class
- Commitment to general education, the liberal arts, and development of the student as a whole person
- Willingness to work with faculty and staff across different academic disciplines and student-support services
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- General awareness of University policies and campus resources
- Adherence to deadlines and department procedures
SLS 1501 Application Process
We are now accepting applications for Summer B/Fall 2019. The application deadline is Thursday, April 4th at 12:00pm.
Continuing Instructors Application
Please note, you are considered a continuing instructor if you have taught in Summer 2018, Fall 2018 and/or Spring 2019. If you have taught SLS 1501 before, but not during the semester listed, please email email@example.com.
To apply as a Continuing SLS 1501 Instructor, please apply here
New Instructors Application
The following is required as part of the New Instruction application:
- A current version of your resume or CV
- To be uploaded as separate files in the application form.
- Sealed official transcripts from the institution where you earned your highest degree
- To be mailed to Wendy Pastrana, FIU-Academic and Career Success, SASC 428 11200 SW 8th Street Miami, FL 33199 OR Electronic transcripts are acceptable when sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your highest degree was earned at FIU, upload a pdf of your unofficial transcript as part of the application form
- Letter of recommendation from your current supervisor
- The letter needs to be sent via e-mail to email@example.com
- The deadline to have all documents submitted is April 4th at 12:00pm.
To apply as a New SLS 1501 Instructor, please apply here